British Values, as defined by the DfE, are:
- The rule of law.
- Individual liberty.
- Mutual respect and tolerance of different beliefs.
The Academy actively promotes British Values through SMSC, RE, RSE and Citizenship which collectively:
- Enable pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Enable pupils to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England. While different people may hold different views about what is right and wrong, all people living in England are subject to its law.
- Encourage pupils to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the Academy and to society more widely.
- Enable pupils to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England.
- Encourage tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling pupils to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- Encourage respect for other people.
- Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.